Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Madonna's Ass: a rant

So I was doing my daily Myspace ritual when I saw an ad that said something like "Who's Butt is This?"...the prize, a new Razr phone. The cost, my dignity.

I knew who the ass belonged to.

"That's totally Madonna's ass!" I thought, in the deep dark recesses of my mind. And instantly, I was ashamed of myself.

I hope I'm not one of those people. You know, the kind that watches Entertainment Tonight to hear the latest news about crazy ass Lindsay Lohan and her drunken antics. Or crazy ass Nicole Richie and her driving problems. Or crazy ass Britney Spears and her...vagina.

What about Maya Angelou's vagina?

Wait, that's not what I meant.

I just mean, what about people that matter? What about people that have done some good in the world, or at least tried. Why don't these people get much attention?

Let's take Bono for example.
Why does anyone care what he has to say about poverty, AIDS, etc?
Because he's Bono. Not because of the genius work he's trying to do...but because he's in a band that has kicked major ass for a hella long time.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, at least he's using his celebrity to do something good but...what if he was still just Paul Hewson, a dude from Ireland. An unfamous Irish dude isn't going to get any work done.

Why?
Because as a society we have our priorities all wrong. Doing the right thing comes after looking good, being famous, making money and beating everyone else to the punch. Helping other people is just too hard and who the hell cares if a bunch of people an ocean away die of some disease? You know, that money that you spend ordering Manolo Blahnik shoes online could be sent to Africa to feed a village for a month.

Too bad you just HAVE to emulate Sarah Jessica Parker. Too bad you can't just live your own life and be yourself.

What is so bad about being a regular person and doing some good in the world?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Take that celebrities with your fame and you're money and you're good looks and...now I'm depressed.

Anonymous said...

Fuck yeah! I was just thinking of something like this a few days ago. Rock on Meg..Speck the truth!

p.s. Madonna doesn't reallyy have an ass but then again I can only remember her from the 80's. I hoesntly thought she died.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know someone else out there is awake to this new and frightening phenomenon gripping more and more of us; we can recognize Madonna's ass on a computer screen, but we can't remember the next-door neighbor's first name. We can recite the name of the web-site that sells our fave shoes, but couldn't tell you where the Congo is located, even with a map of Africa right in front of our faces ... Yikes. No wonder Bush managed to hijack the country; so few of us are paying attention these days. WAKE UP PEOPLE!